Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Dreamweaver - Getting to know you!

Lynell Harlow, owner of Dreamweaver Stencils: 

Lynell Harlow owns Dreamweaver Stencils and is our guest sponsor this month. I wanted you to get to know a little about Lynell and asked her to be our guest for this month also.  Let me tell you that she brings so much to her classes, her experience, patience (she had to have a lot of that with me in her class), products and teaching.   If you ever have a chance to take a class with Lynell, GO FOR IT!    
INTERVIEW:
  • Tell us a little about yourself I love creating, I grew up in a Ceramic Shop where I was forced to work through my growing up years, but I loved working with people and getting gooey. My parents business evolved and then ended, but I saw crafting as a way of making a living.
  • How long have you been a card maker/scrapper & when did you start? I have been doing paper crafting when I took a college extension class in paper marbling in the early 80s.
  • Do you follow sketches or dive right in? I rarely follow a sketch, but my favorite saying is: "no idea is immaculately conceived", if you think it is than you are fooling yourself. Every idea has a beginning and creating evolves one step at a time.
  • How many projects do you make a week? Maybe only one or two these days...sometimes if I am planning a class it could be several.
  • What is your favourite tool (what can't you create without) & why? I love the Picasso stencil shield, it really makes stenciling so much easier and neater too.
  • What at the moment is your most favourite thing to do on your project? I love layering on stencil on top of another...it can really add visual impact.
  • How would you describe your style? I think my style is generally clean and simple, and my stenciling style is to rouge rather than stipple, which is more of an airbrushed smooth look.
  • What about your style would you change (or not) & why? Maybe it's my age, but it's pretty hard to change my style at this point, but I do try to be a bit looser with color, layering more and trying to do a more vintage look.
  • Have you been published or on a Design team - when & where? I have written several instructions flyers and two books. I have also done three dvds.
  • Describe (pictures are even better) your crafting area   ....very messy! I clean up and then create like a maniac...leave it for a few days and then start all over, clean up and create.
  • Do you have a blog? If not where can we see more of your fabulous creations? Yes, my blog is www.dreamweaverstencils.blogspot.com
Below is a list and I can personally tell you that Zentangle 6 is a fantastic book on using Zentangles with stencils.

Artful Cards
New Dimensions in Cardmaking
Zentangle 6 (a Design Originals book with Suzanne McNeill featuring Dreamweaver stencils and several projects by design team members)

Unique Techniques
Embossing Paste Techniques for Artful Cardmaking
Tips 'n Tools for Creating with Metal Stencils

You can check out the books and DVDs here.  If you ever have a chance to take a class with Lynell, don't hesitate.  You will be happy you did.  Lots of good information and products packed into her classes.  I believe she'll be in the U.K. in September.  
Arlene and the Die Cut Divas

No comments: